Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Homemade Shampoo Recipe for Itchy Scalp and Dandruff + A little Herbal Magick

If you do not yet know (and if you cannot tell by my photo on the right of the page...) I have dreadlocks. :)
I am in absolute LOVE with them.

And, as I type this, I have just realized that my locks turned 6 months old a few days ago, November 1st!
Wooo!!
(Oh, and I'm a "Woo! Girl", aka something my husband made up because I say "Woo!" alot. But, that's for another post, isn't it?)


And in sticking with being off-topic in general this morning... 
I would like to give a shout out to the lovely Dread Goddess, based out of Portland, OR. 
~*~ 
Wooo!! Dread Goddess!!! LOL

Stephanie and who she affectionately refers to as her "bestie", Charity, started the business together, and they are changing lives every day. 
While I have not yet had the pleasure of meeting Charity, Stephanie is amazing!
She will get your dreads started, keep them maintained, and mesmerize you by simply being herself. 
The essence of her very nature is sure to inspire. 
Seriously.
Start by visiting their site!
And when you make an appointment, please tell her I sent you!
Furthermore, if you have any questions about dreads, please ask! I wish I had someone to hold my hand when I started researching.. The information can be overwhelming, but it does not have to be.
Ask. And ye shall have peace of mind.
:)

This is when my dreads were still BABIES!!
Only 5 weeks old... Awwww!!

Now back to the topic of this post....


Contrary to popular belief, most of us with dreads DO in fact wash our dreads.
In fact, washing them actually helps them tighten and mature, in my experience.

It is a sort of art, finding the balance of how often to wash. 
Wash too much.. Itchy head.
Wash too little.. Itchy head.

And, finding the perfect washing solution is just as important. 
A lot of the common shampoos have a lot of sulfates and chemicals, leaving filmy residue on the scalp. They do make special shampoos specifically for dreads, but I tend to try making things myself before going out to buy something.

So, today I wish to share with you my very own homemade shampoo recipe for dandruff, itchy scalp, for those with or without dreadlocks, or just for anyone who would like to ditch the chemical-infused commercial products.

This stuff is for you.

Natural Anti-itch Shampoo Recipe: 
You will need:
3 tablespoon each of -
 Dried lavender flowers, mint leaves and rosemary leaves.
2 cups water
Small pot
Unscented liquid castile soap
Essential oil of your choice (optional)

Bring the leaves to a boil in the pot, reduce to a low simmer and let steep for 5-10 minutes.
(**If you want to experiment with hydrating your hair on your own as well, now would be the time to add in an oil, such as grapeseed oil, sweet almond oil, jojoba, etc. Start very small, (such as 1/4 tsp) and if you are not satisfied with it after the first use, you can always add more. As for me, I have dreads!! Oil would prevent my locks from willfully dreading = no bueno.)


Remove from heat, strain through a fine sieve, and set aside for 10 minutes. Then, add in 1-3 Tablespoons unscented liquid castile soap. (**I say 1-3 Tablespoons, as it really depends on you and your hair. I like to use 3 Tablespoons because I like a good lather, and since I only wash every 3-4 days, I like to be sure I get my dreaded locks super clean. I would wash more often but my scalp punishes me and makes me itchy if I wash too little or too much. It's a delicate balance!!)

Now is the time to add in the essential oil(s) of your choice. I sometimes do, but not always.

Essential oils are not only great for aroma, but each one has its own individual properties and a variety of benefits for both skin and hair.
Lavender is healing with antiseptic properties, and smells floral, yet earthy.
Tea Tree oil has a medicinal smell, and is incredible for scalp health and anti-itch.

But you do not need the essential oils for scalp health, itchiness or simple shine. The tea leaves do that for you, and essentially leaves your hair smelling "clean", with no significant odor, really.

Store in a glass jar with a lid or cork (I like vintage-y bottles with corks, just because they are pretty.)
Keeps for up to 4 weeks in the fridge.

A word about Scalp Health: 
For some of us, washing our hair and massaging with our fingers is enough and not much more is needed for comfort after that. But for the rest of us, (especially those of us with dreads!!) could benefit from a little extra care and attention.
I have found that one of the keys to keeping dandruff and annoying itchiness at bay, is to be sure my entire scalp gets fully stimulated by massage while washing.
Since my fingers cannot really get to every part of my scalp that easily, I have befriended a wide shower comb. It is has these big plastic balls on the end of the comb and a handy hook to hang from my shower head.
After applying my homemade shampoo and lathering up really well, I take the comb and gently massage each part of my scalp in a circular motion.
Ensuring the scalp gets massaged well in this way every few days, stimulates the pores, and gets the needed, natural oils producing and keeping your scalp from getting too dry (aka, ITCHY!!)
Stimulating the pores in this way, also stimulates growth, and promotes healthy shine (for those of us without dreads ;) }


Magical Uses for herbs in my recipe are as follows: 
*Remember, as a Natural Witch, everything you do can have a little added magic to it, so focus your intent while making this recipe, and remember that intent each time you use it in in the shower, and visualize your intent being so. Use the water in your visualization and see any negativity being washed away, and rinsed down the drain. Believe it to be so, and so it will be!

Lavender:  to aid in sleep, anxieties, & overall purification; promotes visions, gives protection, brings peace and clarity. 

Mint:  to promote healing, strength and lift moods; also to attract money and luck. 

Rosemary:  to promote awareness, moods, healing, memory, protection, and intellectual strength.




Enjoy and let me know how any and all of this works for you! 

*~*~*~ Blessings, and Healthy Hair! ~*~*~*

~MoonsWay )O(

No comments:

Post a Comment